By Christian Barnett – Local Democracy Reporter

A suspended skip service which has been deemed a health and safety hazard could return but only after it has been reviewed.

The skips which were placed in four different spots around the city every Saturday and has been in place for more than 15 years was temporarily suspended to allow councillors to carry out a review.

Many councillors at a meeting of the city council’s environment committee last week said they want to see the service return.

David Blake, managing director of the city council, said the council was looking to make a number of improvements as he was “not comfortable” with what he was seeing.

He said the council was also looking at offering recycling options which the service had never provided.

“We need something that is practical but also something that meets local needs and is safe for residents,” he said.

Councillor Pat Agar said the skip sites needed cameras and Cllr Ceri Stalker agreed saying CCTV would be a “massive help” in stopping fly-tipping.