A Worcester man has been jailed for four and a half years after admitting causing death by dangerous driving.

Paul Bird, of Ludlow Ave, Worcester appeared at Worcester Crown Court on Monday for sentencing having previously pleaded guilty to causing death by dangerous driving.
In addition to the four and a half year jail sentence, Bird received two years and three months for pleading guilty to causing serious injury by dangerous driving. This sentence will be served concurrently.
The 45-year-old was also disqualified from driving for two and a half years and ordered to take an extended test at the end of his disqualification period.
It comes after Bird was involved in a crash at the junction of the B4202 and the A456 at Clows Top on February 2, 2018.
Bird failed to stop at a give way junction while travelling above the speed limit and his Lexus collided with a car Gavin and Alison Hunt were travelling in.
Gavin Hunt – an ambulance technician with West Midlands Ambulance Service – sadly died at the scene while his wife, Alison, received extensive injuries. 
Sergeant Glenn Jones from West Mercia Police said: “This was a particularly tragic collision to deal with, which is reflected in the length of sentence given to Bird.

“We are committed to improving road safety and prioritise fatal and serious injury road traffic collisions to ensure that every effort is made to bring offenders to justice.”
West Midlands Ambulance Service’s Chief Executive Officer, Anthony Marsh, said: “This was a truly terrible event which has left an irreplaceable void in the lives of Gavin’s family, friends and colleagues who are still trying to come to terms with what has happened. 

“Talking to many of my staff since the tragedy, I know just how much of a well-respected member of the ambulance family he was in Kidderminster and the wider trust.

“He was taken away far too soon and is greatly missed.

“We can only hope that this sentence serves as a warning to others to drive safely at all times.”